Monday

Inspire Me - When to Walk Away


Hello Friends! My name is Kathy  and I love popping in for another installment of "Inspire Me Monday". How are you today? Have you ever walked away from a project you were working on and happy that you did? Or is walking away difficult like it is for me? 


Walking away isn't easy for me ... it's always like ... I will just add one more thing or one more color and then I wished that I had walked away. 
For today's card I added one more color and not only was it more of a time commitment but, it moved me a different direction from what I wanted. 


I was going for a soft look on the dahlia and because I HAD to add one more color my soft look was left behind ... So I need to learn to take a walk. Next time when I return to my project I might have a different perspective. Either way I am so in L.O.V.E. this extra large Dahlia stamp!! Like OMG love!!! 



This flower stamp is big and juicy and it's a great stamp for any medium and for techniques. True it will take you more time but, the end results will be so worth your time.

I hope you will check out my video and a thumbs up is always appreciated if you like it. 
The large dahlia was inked up with Simon Says Stamps barely beige ink and colored with Chameleon colored pencils. 


Using the grey pencil first in mostly the nooks and crannies was easy I promise.


Then I added a soft layer of pink with a very light hand. When I was satisfied with that I used a dark pink for  my third layer always keeping the tip nice and sharp to get that pronounced line on the petals. 


This is the point where I should have walked away. I wanted to add one more color and once you add that color to one petal .... it's a commitment! Plus it changes the look you were going for. 


I discovered a new tip ... when you don't get a perfect embossing what do you do?  Rather than make you watch my video I will tell you lol. Use a white gel pen to fill in the areas that are not embossed. Worked like a charm! 

Thanks for your visit today it's always appreciated and I hope you picked up a tip to two. Have a good week. Hugs, Kathy 

8 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Kathy, I LOVE your coloring and really love this dahlia! I've been playing with it myself and may just have to change my medium and use colored pencils...wink! Thanks for another great video. I love watching you and listening to your narration. You are AMAZING! Thanks for another wonderful Inspire Me Monday...and, yes, Marcy is an amazing artist-extraordinaire!! Big hugs!

Berina RGA said...

Wow!! Beautiful coloring Kathy!! I love that you have added black. Gives a deep color. I also love the large stamps - especially digis, as I can enlarge them any size I want. I do have trouble walking away and end up adding a lot of dark color which kind of spoils the coloring. I'm still learning! Enjoyed watching your video. Thanks for sharing the tip on white embossing.

Nora Noll said...

WOW!! This is stunning!! I LOVE the way you colored this in!! I cannot use pencils to save my life!!

Lisa K said...

I like the third color, purple. It looks nice, especially with the black you came back and added in. I use the Gina K Artist's Choice paper for coloring with pencils. They work great on that paper. It is supposed to be good for markers, but haven't tried it with markers. I usually use her Pure Luxury line with markers or Spectrum Noir paper. Love the flower images from Power Poppy. They are like no other flower stamps that I have. Thanks for sharing and the video.

Carol H. said...

It was sure pretty before the last color, but I think it's just as pretty as you finished it!! Beautiful!

June S. said...

WOW! You have extraordinary patience and talent! How long did this take you? It would have taken me YEARS! It is truly AMAZING! I love the shades of gray with the shades of pink. Just fantastic!

Helen Gullett said...

WOW WOW WOW! This dahlia comes to life with your coloring technique.

Wendy said...

I think your dahlia turned out lovely, though not what you were going for!! Been there! Sometimes I just need to walk away to let a new idea in instead of forcing it right then. It seems like I always have several unfinished images or projects & if I wait I usually find the perfect solution (but I don't always do that!!!) I love the white embossing tip too :) excellent idea! Thanks!